Baby’s First UK Passport

Children born in Thailand with a father from UK and mother from Thailand are considered to be dual nationality and are entitled to a British passport, both parents names should be on the birth certificate.

The children can also have a Thai passport. The UK passport will be issued for 5 years and can be renewed every 5 years. There is no need for the parents to be married and as long as the child was born before 2007 you can apply.

The procedure is;

• Email for an appointment

• Download application form OS and credit card form from

• Complete forms and copy documents as requested on British Embassy

• Take application and original documents to VFS at Trendy Office Building, 28th Floor, Sukhumvit Road Soi 13, Klontoey Nua Wattana, Bangkok, 10110

The following documents are recommended;

Father Original Document

• Passport and long birth certificate (with both parents names)

Mother Original Document

• Passport if available

• ID card

• “Tabien Baan” (household book)

• Birth certificate

• Original marriage certificate (if married)

• Change of name certificate

• Divorce certificate

Baby Original Document

• Thai birth certificate

• Household registration

• 2 passport photos with white background


All the Thai documents need to be translated in to English ensuring correct spelling of name. The translated documents also need to be in colour, all pages of the passport need to be copied, the originals will not be sent to the passport office in Liverpool.

The documents you need to take to VFS in Bangkok are as follows;

• Full set of original documents

• Full set of colour photocopies

• Full set of English translations (in colour)

• Counter signature on the back of the form

VFS will send the application and documents to the UK passport office for processing.

When the new passport arrives back at the VFS in Bangkok they will inform you and you will need to go and collect, not forgetting to take your passport for identification.

   Flexible Terms
   Fully Secured by Property
   Regular Returns Options

Leave a Reply

  1. Sharon walters

    How can we do this if the child was born in June 2017 but the father passed away in April 2017

  2. Dwaine Dewar

    Does the translated documents need to be taken to the ministry of foreign affairs and stamped prior to application? Or does it just need to be translated and stamped by any certified translator? Thanks

  3. Ray Bingham

    Can you please confirm that a UK based father of a Thai child cannot apply in the UK if the child is living in Thailand.