Obtaining ED Visa Thailand

One of the biggest knock-on effect of the visa law changes, is the change to the education visa. This also happens to be the most applied for visa for people who are under 50, unmarried (to a Thai national), or working. More strict procedures have been put in place to stop people abusing the system.

The student-education visa is a type of visa which is predominately for people wanting to learn the Thai language. This essential for people looking to conduct long-term business out here.

When you start the process of obtaining ED visa Thailand you start by attending an accredited language school who will guide you on the fees involved and they will give you the correct documentation from the Ministry of education to travel to a Thai Consulate outside of Thailand. Most foreigners residing in Thailand choose a neighbouring Country like Laos or Cambodia so they can obtain a Non Immigrant ED visa for education purposes only traveling by land and when the visa is obtained it lasts for 90 days which is needed to start the process so when the Foreigner re-enters Thailand on the new ED education visa they will receive their first 90 days on entry and the process begins.

Each education course has rules on how many hours you have to attend the school to qualify for a further 90 days. This will be given by the Thai Immigration Bureau so make sure you keep the hours up and also do your best to learn. When you go to obtain your next 90 days, you will probably be tested by the Immigration Officer so if you are learning the Thai language they will expect you to know the basics in communication. As you require further extensions you can guarantee that the tests will become more intense so just turning up for a stamp is a thing of the past, you must prove to the Immigration Officer that you are abiding to the rules of the visa or face problems getting a further extension

As previously stated you will be given three extensions of 90 days which all together, adds up to a year, including your first 90 days obtained out of Thailand. If you’re looking to continue studying in Thailand you must start a new education course and obtain documents from the school as you did the first time and leave Thailand to obtain another 90 day non-immigrant ED visa and then the process will restart.

   Flexible Terms
   Fully Secured by Property
   Regular Returns Options

Leave a Reply

  1. David Dalton

    Hi, I am currently on an ed visa, my school is closing down for good, I still have 5 months left, can I rellocate to a different school? Thankyou